Sunday, May 24, 2009

Another Good Day

Things are definitely looking up.  By the time I finish this entry, I think it will be past midnight, so I'd better specify days instead of using relative terms like "yesterday."  Saturday was momentous, to say the least.  This is going to sound totally gross, but I hadn't showered since the night before the surgery, which was 11 days prior.  As awful as it sounds, I really couldn't help it.  I'd been too weak and in too much pain.  In my defense, I had gotten a sponge bath during that time.  I was only allowed five minutes to shower, and I couldn't turn my back to the shower head at any time, but I got as clean as I possibly could, considering the restrictions.  After I was finished, I was exhausted and had to lie down before I could even get dressed.  My dear mother helped me put on a loose dress, and I would just like to thank Aunt Susan for those booby petals.  They're excellent.  Then, I sat up on the bed while my mother shaved my legs for me.  Believe me, I wish I could've done it myself, but I can't bend at all.  Thank goodness she was willing to help out.  Seriously, once you've been in the hospital a few days, you lose all modesty, and I didn't have too much to begin with.  After my mom dried my hair for me, we headed over to Gog's to visit Poo and Aunt Carolyn.  It was a lovely visit, of course, and Poo and I were able to commiserate about our injuries and how they hinder us.  By the time we left, I was so tired.  Just the 2-minute ride to and from Gog's house hurt so badly because of all the potholes and bumps.  The next time I go on a car ride anywhere, I'm taking a pillow.

Sunday has been far less eventful, but I've also felt pretty good.  Mother and I watched My Best Friend's Wedding for the first time ever, and it was excellent.  I definitely can relate to one of the relationships involved, and on a separate note, I hope that my "George" had an amazing birthday yesterday.  I sat up yesterday for the longest time I had since before the surgery, but I did end up taking a 3-hour nap later in the evening.  Now it's Monday, Memorial Day, so my parents are off work.  It will be nice to just have a relaxing day with them, and my father and I have been watching Band of Brothers again together.  I got the full miniseries on DVD in high school, and it's just amazing.  The funny thing is that now that I've had recent surgery, I hate watching surgery stuff.  I've never had a problem with blood, and it's just surgery scenes with needles, IVs, and incisions that bother me right now.  My mom said she was the same way after her surgery, but that it will pass.  I sure hope so because I've loved surgery TV shows since I was really young.  I was trying to watch Dr. 90210 the other day and just couldn't because the whole surgical experience is too fresh in my mind.  It's so interesting how that happens.

Anyways, I'm probably heading to sleep pretty soon so I can enjoy Memorial Day fully.  I was right about the other day being the turning point for me.  It's been great, and I'm so thankful for it.  I'm not taking anything for granted right now.  Each day that the pain decreases is a blessing, and I feel myself getting stronger every minute.  Thank you so much for your prayers during all of this.  They've really been working!

1 comment:

  1. Marty Jokovich, RN is thrilled that the booby petals were well-received! Happy healing from Central Staffing, Charlotte Office!

    ReplyDelete