Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A Central Staffing Day

I was cared for today by Head Nurse of Central Staffing, Helen Faucette Nance, RN.  Nurse Faucette reported for duty promptly at 7:20 AM, and she left at 4:30 this afternoon.  During that time, she provided me with the most excellent care I have ever received.  I was even given a small Wendy's Frosty after lunch, as well as a neverending supply of kidney tea. My family's delicious chicken pot pie meal tonight was provided by Central Staffing Dietician Carolyn Nance Baugh, and I am receiving daily phone calls and emails from my case manager, Marty Jokovich, RN, to check on my progress and lift my spirits.  I must say that Central Staffing truly treats its patients like royalty, even when there are multiple patients under their care.

I spent more time in the bed today due to an extremely unwelcome visit from Aunt Florence, if that means anything to anyone, but I have been up and about the house as well.  Many thanks to BJ's family for their sweet card and delicious cupcakes!  Those certainly brightened my day!  As soon as my primary caregivers, Mary Catherine (my untrained mother) and Nurse Helga (my father), returned to the house this evening, I managed to transfer from my bed into the den, where I have been sitting since.  It's been such a beautiful day, and I wish I could just go out and enjoy it like most people can, but I suppose I'm not fit for such strenuous activity just yet.  I did take a peek at my back today for the first time since the surgery.  I still have a bandage running down the middle, but it's amazing how much has changed.  The hump on the right side is completely gone, and I actually have an hourglass figure on both sides, instead of just on the left side, as it used to be.  The extra height feels great, too.  I have no doubt that I have now passed Cousin Catherine as the tallest girl cousin of the Nance clan.  This dream would have been realized sooner if my back had decided to grow straight in the first place, but it's fantastic that surgery can correct such problems.

I have uploaded some pictures from pre-op and post-op that I will be posting here a little bit later, so just be prepared to see some ugly.  I'm wearing no makeup at all, and I was completely unconscious in a few of them, but I'm being very brave and letting you all see my true colors in the most embarrassing form possible.  Hope you enjoy them when they come! Right now, I'm going to turn on the TV and see if there are any good Lifetime movies on.  We watched Twilight last night, but I can always watch that one again!

No comments:

Post a Comment