Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hanging In There

Today has been a bit more challenging, and it's hard to explain why.  I've gotten on a regulated medication schedule now, which is not the best because I have to get up a couple times during the night to sit up and pop some pills.  As a result, I don't sleep as well as I wish I could, but part of that is also pain-related.  I'm on Oxycodone, Oxycontin, and extra strength Advil at different times, but the good news is that the longest interval I have between some kind of medicine dosage is 4 hours, and the shortest time is 2 hours.  Eventually, that will be decreased, of course, but it's wonderful right now.  However, all this medicine is like taking nothing compared to the morphine drip I had.  Man, I miss that so much.

I woke up feeling a little nauseous, but I've since recovered and am starting to regain my appetite for dinner.  For the past 2 nights, I've had the most delicious meal known to mankind.  That, of course, is Goggy's roast beef, green beans, rolls, mashed potatoes, and sweet tea.  She also sent some delicious pineapple nut cake for dessert, and I pray that we have enough leftovers for a full plate of all that tonight.  As Gog would say, "It just tastes so good to me."

I haven't gotten around to writing individual thank-you notes to everyone, but I must report on two more gifts I've received.  This morning, a beautiful blue and white Duke-themed floral arrangement arrived for me from Nana and Boopa, followed by a cute cat card in the mail this afternoon.  As my mom said when she got home from school, "This house smells like a florist's."  It is really a wonderful aroma, and the cats sure do love it! Saturday night, I got a care package from Aunt Susan, which got me so excited immediately.  She makes up the best exam care packages during the school year, and they're always full of the most fun little gadgets and snacks.  This one contained a card game, a glow stick, silly putty that makes inappropriate noises, cotton candy lip gloss, a felt coloring page, a box of soda shop jelly beans, gum, pills that turn into bug shapes when put in water, a DVD of My Best Friend's Wedding, a book of crossword puzzles, silicone booby petals since I can't wear a bra yet, and a funny card.  It was awesome!  Also, I don't think I mentioned this earlier, but Wednesday night before we even left for Raleigh, Granddaddy brought by a large Whitman's Sampler, which has been positively delicious ever since I got home!  Gog's "flowers" to me were a couple loose-fitting nightgowns and an adorable pink bathrobe with green elephants that we bought about a week before the surgery.  Those have most definitely come in handy!

Tomorrow is Gog's turn to take care of me while Mother works and Father will be out of town all day.  I hope she doesn't force strenuous activity on me too hard!  I'm still very weak!  We'll see how Nurse Helen handles her job.  I'm certainly not questioning Central Staffing!  I'm just curious to see how things will go.  Plus, Cousin Poo (Mary Elizabeth) had her surgery today, so I'll be thinking about her through her recovery, as well as Central Staffing now that their responsibilities have been doubled!

As most of you know, I'm not a modest person, and these pain medications have caused some constipation.  When I told Abby about this, here's the text I received in response:

"That's crappy."

Oh, how it made me giggle.  That Abby is one crazy but fantastic lady.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that you are at home and can walk around some. That is great! What I'm really dying to know is what those silicone booby petals are all about! They sound just like what I need! And I'm dying to stand next to you to see how much you've grown. That really is crazy. Have a good night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and Poo need walkie talkies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never you fear---Marty Jokovich, RN is your new case manager from Central Staffing, Inc. My specialty: Pain Management and Smiles! I look forward to working with you and your fam. Happy Healing! :)

    ReplyDelete