Friday, May 29, 2009

First Real Outing

I went on my first real outing yesterday!  I have to say yesterday because it’s now after midnight, of course.  Matt and I had lunch at Waffle House for about an hour.  I wish it could’ve been longer, but there were no booths left, so we had to sit at the counter on the bar stools with hard backs.  I brought along my pillow in his car for the ride there, but I really didn’t want to take it inside the restaurant with me, so I decided to just grin and bear the lack of back support for as long as I could.  It was really great catching up with Matt before he heads to Vanderbilt, and if my spine hadn’t started aggravating me, we could’ve caught up on a lot more.  However, an hour was as long as I could last.  When I got home, I walked into the garage, slipped on a small puddle of water since it had been raining, and almost killed myself in the process.  Thank goodness I didn’t fall, or else I’m afraid I would’ve undone all the work Dr. Hey did two weeks ago.  As soon as I got inside the house, I collapsed on the couch and slept until about 6:00 PM because the rain was just so wonderful.  Thunderstorms make for amazing sleep.

While I was asleep, I heard the doorbell ring, but I was too tired to get up and answer it.  The phone also rang a few times, but I just couldn’t move.  When I finally arose, I checked outside the door, and there was a beautiful floral arrangement from Jan, Jerry, and Melanie!  It’s absolutely gorgeous with all of its bright flowers, and it smells amazing.  Thanks so much to them for making my day even better!  I must’ve taken a million pictures of those flowers last night because they’re just breathtaking, and I wish I had a professional camera to really capture all the details.  There’s one carnation in particular that will make me cry when it dies.  It’s phenomenal.  It’s bright yellow with orange and red fire tones blending around the edges, and it’s so full.  Hard to explain what it looks like, I know, but I tried.  I’m going to keep this arrangement alive as long as I possibly can!

After I had dinner, the rest of the evening was downhill and so relaxing.  My parents and I watched The Office, Andrew called and chatted with me for a while, and I forgot to take my medicine at 9:00.  We’ve been weaning me off the drugs, and I just want to be rid of all of them, but apparently that 9:00 dose is crucial.  I started feeling worse pain than usual about 10:00 and realized I had missed a dose, so I got all caught up at 11:00.  Now I’m off to try to go to bed, but I’ll probably be up until 4:00 AM again.  The old Duke sleeping habits are back, I’m afraid!

1 comment:

  1. In honor of your big outing, here's a Waffle House fun fact for you: If you lay all of the bacon end-to-end that Waffle House serves in a year, it will stretch from Atlanta to Los Angeles seven times, which is more than 21,000 miles long!

    ReplyDelete